Survey rover terrain trials
KESS2 Robotics Placement: Coastal Research Autonomous Navigation Crawler (CRANC)
The WCMC funded by the 4 Coastal Groups (in Wales) and partnered with KESS2 and Aberystwyth University have begun a project to develop a low cost autonomous survey rover.
The 15 month project started in November 2020 and has been challenged to deliver:
- Kinematic accuracy GNSS surveying (to meet WCMC 3D Plan specification)
- Components <£1000
- Package including a shopping list, software and construction manual freely available to all.
Utilising drone developments - providing low cost, compact, survey accuracy positioning systems and autonomous software, the rover has the potential to:
- Increase production of data collection tenfold (multiple rovers per surveyor)
- Provide access to night tides, currently not safe for surveyors, potentially doubling available tidal windows
- Survey areas currently not accessible on foot or ATV such as estuarine or mud
- Reduce environmental impact of ATV
- Remove people from the water's edge increasing safety